If you’ve been reading Creative Fashion Blog for long, you know I’m an absolute sucker for massive, statement jewelry and rough crystals. That’s why I’m so excited to combine the two to make this DIY Lariat Geode Necklace! This necklace is the perfect statement jewelry and makes an awesome gift. This holiday, I’ll be making one for me and a few for friends.
This DIY Lariat is going to compliment my other handmade jewelry perfectly! I think it will hang nicely next to my Boho Tassel Earrings, Crystal Stacking Bracelets, and Recycled Vinyl Record Earrings. They are some of my favorite DIY pieces so far.
DIY Lariat Supplies:
My supply lists are shoppable for your convenience! Just click any aff. link below to get everything you’ll need to complete this tutorial without adding extra errands to your day.
- Leather Suede Cord
- 22 Gauge Craft Wire
- 1 Geode
- Jeweller’s Micro Pliers
- 2 Rough Crystals (Mine are Aquamarine)
How To Make A DIY Lariat
Before we can really begin making your Lariat, we need to wrap your rough stones to create beads.
How To Wire-Wrap A Rough Stone In 3 Steps
- Start out by cutting your 22 gauge wire (anything thicker will be harder to work with) and folding it in half slightly to find the center. Place your stone in the center of your wire.
- Wrap your wire across the other side of the stone like a Christmas present. Continue wrapping your wire twice so your crystal is snug and secure.
- Once your wire is carefully wrapped, hold both wires in your jewelry pliers about 1/2 centimeter from your stone and twist. Twist until your wire comes together and slowly make your way up until you run out of excess wire. Snip off the rough edges and extra wire and bend the edge of your wire back towards the base of your crystal and wrap around itself to secure.
How To Make A Lariat
- To put your DIY Lariat together, cut about 3 ft of leather cord from your spool and fold in half to find the center. Slide the center of your cord through the middle of your geode and then pull the end of your cord through the loop to secure.
- Pull tight to create a knot around your geode.
- Next, pull the ends of your leather cord through your lariat again but DO NOT pull all the way through. This creates the basic shape of your DIY lariat necklace.
- The last and final step is to tie your wrapped stone crystals to the end of your leather cord. this will keep the cord from ever coming undone and creates a pretty, boho-chic finish.
DIY Lariat Video Tutorial
Because I’d rather show you how to make it with a video than have you leave confused. 😉
I really hope you liked this DIY Lariat tutorial! As always, if you have any questions while you are putting this project together, leave me a comment below and I would love to help out! I absolutely love hearing from you guys and seeing how your project turned out! You can see my other DIY lariat tutorials HERE and HERE.
Loved The DIY? Please Share It!
Other Projects You Might Like:
Make Your Own Crystal Cuff Bracelet
Crystal DIY Wine Cork Stopper
DIY Crystal Mala Beads for Goal Setting & Meditation