Good news! To kick-off the weekend I thought it would be fun to create something fun and simple to update your summer wardrobe. This DIY leggings top is so easy to make that it doesn’t even require a sewing machine!
Today I’m so excited to share with you an easy way to transform your old boring best leggings into a trendy summer crop top. Seriously!
In less than 5 minutes, I’ll be walking you through the step-by-step process that will have you upcycling all those lululemon leggings you never wear anymore! This DIY crop top makes for a great swimsuit cover-up or are a perfect match for your high-rise waistband jeans or a maxi skirt for a totally different look. The price point for this fun DIY is: zero!
- A pair of old leggings, maybe from last year
- Sewing Scissors
How To Make A DIY Leggings Top
- Just take your old leggings and lay them out on a table. Be sure they are laying flat and don’t have any wrinkles. For best results the ideal pair will be made of breathable material without any deep side pockets. It’s worth noting that sweat-wicking fabric or four-way stretch fabric makes for a top that feels like a second skin. Any different colors or stretchy fabric material are really your own personal preference! For cold weather you could even use fleece-lined leggings, or thicker fabric.
- Next, take some scissors and cut out the crotch seam about 4 inches on either side to create an 8-inch hole in the crotch. Believe it or not, this is where your head is about to go.
- Now to refashion your leggings into a shirt, you can either leave the legs of your leggings long to create a long sleeve crop top chop them off to make a short sleeve design. Cut the legs of your leggings off at about 7 inches down from your crotch hole.
- Now, set your leggings aside and we’re going to focus on one disconnected leg for a minute. Use your scissors to cut the seam open of one of your legs.
- Once it’s cut, spread the leg open to create one small sheet of fabric.
- Cut 1/2 inch strip off from your fabric sheet and pull to create a thin lace.
- Now pick up the bulk of your leggings and try on your new shirt! Put it on by sliding your head through the waste opening and the new crotch hole we cut. To create the gathered front, just tie your string around the center front of your new shirt, that way it hits the right places. The best part? This is just the best option for everyday wear. You can put a graphic t-shirt or a long cardigan over this wonder if you just wanted some long sleeves. Enjoy your new sexy little crop top, I hope you liked this blog post!
Other Refashion Tutorials You May Like